Saturday, October 6, 2012

Robert Vadra: Will the truth ever come out?

Ten years ago, I bought a new apartment under construction in DLF Exclusive Floors, Phase V, Gurgaon. I took a loan from ICICI Bank to finance my purchase. I made it explicitly clear to the bank that I need the loan money disbursed to me on or before a certain date by which I needed to pay DLF the balance amount. After assuring me that the same would happen, ICICI Bank released the payment three days late. DLF charged me interest at 20 per cent per annum for the delay. I wrote to DLF and requested the Manager, Customer Services, to waive off the interest since the payment delayed by just three days was on account of the bank and I couldn't be blamed for it. DLF refused to do so, in a letter to me, which is still in my possession.

Ten years later, when I learnt that DLF gave away property worth Rs 300 crore for less than Rs 38 crore, it was hard to digest. The same firm who refused to forego Rs 2,191 to me knowing fully well that I was not personally responsible for the delay, let go Rs 262 crore to Robert Vadra. Wait, the story gets even more mysterious. DLF gave Vadra an interest free loan of over Rs 65 crore without any security to finance his acquisitions. Why? Robert says he has known the DLF owners for a long time and they are friends of his. Can anyone with a modicum of intelligence buy this explanation?

While it is okay to make concessions to friends, is it plausible to believe that the DLF owners willingly relinquished over Rs 260 crore to Robert purely on account of friendship? The Congress party came out in full strength to defend the party president's son-in-law with some leaders even calling up news channels to offer a sound byte on the issue. The leaders can't be blamed as they saw this as an opportunity to please Madam Sonia Gandhi. The Congress party has a history of rewarding loyalty and this issue gave a perfect opportunity to earn brownie points with the high command.

Resources : http://ibnlive.in.com/blogs/rajengarabadu/707/63958/robert-vadra-will-the-truth-ever-come-out.html

No comments:

Post a Comment